Friday, June 14, 2013

Business Cards

[caption id="attachment_149" align="aligncenter" width="625"]First shot at a business card First shot at a business card[/caption]

Main Point


Starting a business requires networking with people who can help you. Building connections up can help you succeed by earning financial and informational support. In order to network, you need to create a communication link that extends beyond the initial meet and greet that takes place during many 'networking events'. Even with today's sophisticated means of communication, the tried and true business card is the best way to stay connected.

I do not have a name for the business I envision, and I wanted to create a whole business concept before I branded it through business cards, websites, Facebook pages, etc. For this reason, I delayed the process of building a website and creating business cards which was a mistake. In order to create a business with a catchy name, slogan, statement, logo, you need resources! I need resources. Instead of waiting for resources, start by creating a preliminary concept by identifying on a small scale what it is you want to do. Brand yourself.

My Card


Despite not having an image yet, I still wanted to create something that set my cards apart from other entrepreneurs. Creating a card that stands out among the rest is important especially in situations where you attend mixers where you'll be receiving a dozen or more cards. My design consists of one side with my name in large font. To create a unique style I scanned my own handwriting then "traced" over the scan in a software program to produce the artwork. Using the same program (KoolMoves), I then drew the robot arm seen on the flip side and added some simple contact information.

I used Moo.com to assemble and print the cards. I was deciding between VistaPrint and Moo, and ended up going with Moo because the final layouts looked more professional despite using my own graphics. The cards are significantly more expensive on Moo only because they try to create unique templates for your business type, and also have modern font styles to stay current.

No comments:

Post a Comment